Friday, January 13, 2012

Ghost Dancer arrived at the RTR today.

This morning I worked at the Rock Club as Foreman of the Lapidary Shop.  Had free breakfast and lunch at La Mesa RV, then returned to the Rock Club to play this afternoon.  Then headed up the hill to Dome Mountain where the Vandwellers are gathering.  And lo and behold, who shows up, but our very own "vandweller's founding father,” Ghost Dancer.  What a guy!  Folks were surprised and pleased.

Suanne made a wonderful stew for all of us.  The campfire was lovely until some decided to burn up a lot more wood than required.  That always ticks me off... as I think of how many meals I could make on the fuel burned up in one night.  So, I just leave so I don't have to sit around and be angry over the issue.

My friend Liz has folks helping her... by making her a bed for her van.  AstroBri is here.  VJ from VanIncidentals is here.  Lots of new people I haven't met before.  I don't know how many people are here, but I bet there are 30 or more vehicles.

IMGA0472
The night is clear and not too cold.  I'll be able to leave my rear door open and watch the stars tonight.  I am hoping to spend more time with those who have come to the RTR, but my volunteer work for the Rock Club and helping to set up and tear down for the annual Pow Wow will have to come first.

One thing for sure that is making me feel great is all the folks that have rallied around me because of the slander a disgruntled vandweller (?) has been putting on the WWW, in spite of the fact I gave him a blanket when he was cold, camped with him the first two weeks he was here so he would not be alone, showed him all around town.  Shared my food with him and even let him sit in my van to eat when it was cold outside... in spite of the cigarette smoke saturating his clothing, and even polished his silver watch band which he almost seemed irritated at me that he had to walk to my van so I could hand it to him.  He didn't even look at it.  And because I told him I wasn't a one-woman welcoming committee for every vandweller who comes to town... he turned on me and began slandering me on the web.  BlogSpot won't do anything about it unless there is a lawsuit, he won't do anything about it though I asked politely four times, so I just have to live with it.   The folks who know me, know he is lying, and even those just meeting me have reassured me that the guy must have a mental problem.  So... trying to ignore it and move on. 


IMGA0462
There is lots of fun to be had here and I'm going to just have me a bunch of it.  It doesn't get any better than this until tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Heard you met our good buds, Nicole and Darlene of Where the Wind Goes! Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlene,
    I just wanted to send you a note of warm wishes as you continue this fantastic journey. Your continued adventures always are a pleasure to read and an inspiration to me.
    Best Regards,
    Carl Palme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ms Swankie. :)
    Hey, one thing about people is that:
    Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter.
    Don't worry about people who spread crap on the WWW. Real people care, and real people make up their own minds.

    ReplyDelete

Who is Swankie?

My photo
Anywhere, USA, Full-Time USA traveler, United States
In 2006, I was shopping for a wheelchair. By 2007, I had new knees, better health and by 2008 a kayak. In Aug 2013, I kayaked my 49th state, Alaska, at the Holgate Glacier and in May 2014, I kayaked Hawaii, my 50th state, to celebrate my 70th Birthday and the finale to the wonderful adventure of Kayaking America? Next up... Solo Hiking the Arizona Trail, 820 miles? Maybe. Still healing from shoulder and trying to decide.

Followers: