Sunday, March 10, 2013

Take time to smell the rocks?

IMGA0403

Today I ran away from home to go out and smell the rocks. urrrr flowers??? No, I smell rocks – guess I’m suffering from rock withdrawal, afterall, I’ve been in a city for a month now. Thought I needed a little desert time... so I followed my nose and ended up at Lake Pleasant Regional Park north of Phoenix.

Really, I shouldn't have spent the gas money that way... but just thought I deserved it. It's called "re-creation" (oh, wait, I even have a degree in that, and I should use my degree, right!).

Having spent the past month, parking lot hopping… it was good to get out and walk in the fresh air and sunshine.  We had almost 24 hours

IMGA0377IMGA0378

of rain.  Things were blowing everywhere.  And that’s all the desert needs… to turn green.

IMGA0422

This is near the Visitors Center at Lake Pleasant Regional Park… and NO, it’s not irrigated.

IMGA0389IMGA0391IMGA0399IMGA0421IMGA0423

I understand they also have about 300 head of wild burros here as well, and I’ve seen proof of that, but no real animals sited.

Photo from: Taos Unlimited

They also have Satellite towers here… so I’ve got good internet.

IMGA0413IMGA0414

OK, one of those is a Satellite tower.

IMGA0420

The rock wall is a desert tortoise enclosure.  They are not out yet, too cold.  For more about this go to next page on Desert Tortoise.

It doesn’t get any better than this, until tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos as always. You have a good eye for detail and composition. Jim, Kali & I just spent 3 weeks in Wellington, Utah, and it wasn't that picturesque. Thanks! Lois Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lois. Hug my puppy for me. I'll be heading to Alaska about the end of April. Wish you were in my path.

    ReplyDelete

Who is Swankie?

My photo
Anywhere, USA, Full-Time USA traveler, United States
In 2006, I was shopping for a wheelchair. By 2007, I had new knees, better health and by 2008 a kayak. In Aug 2013, I kayaked my 49th state, Alaska, at the Holgate Glacier and in May 2014, I kayaked Hawaii, my 50th state, to celebrate my 70th Birthday and the finale to the wonderful adventure of Kayaking America? Next up... Solo Hiking the Arizona Trail, 820 miles? Maybe. Still healing from shoulder and trying to decide.

Followers: