NOTE: If I am unable to obtain the gear by Fall, I may postpone the hike until Spring 2017. Another reason for waiting is that water is very low everywhere right now and getting worse day after day. More water will be available in the Spring 2017.
As I look at the gear lists of others, I can't help but wonder if this is not a rich-man's folly and if a poor old lady can afford such an adventure? But if you care to contribute to this "folly" click the Donate button on the right and when you get to Paypal, make sure you select "Send Money to Friends" or PayPal will keep a chunk of the money you are intending for my use. Thank you.
1) Gopro Simplified camera (http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero-session/CHDHS-102.html ) - $199.00, plus This ultra versatile mount can be used three main ways: as a camera grip, extension arm or tripod - $69.99 (http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/3-way/AFAEM-001.html )
2) Small solar charger for small batteries
3) Therm-a-Rest Neo-Air Xtherm Sleeping Pad - $30.00 or more (so many diff. kinds of mats)
4) ZPacks Challenger Rain Jacket - $275.00 (well, this probably won't happen) http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml
5) ZPacks Challenger Rain Pants - $165.00 (well, this probably won't happen either) http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_pants.shtml
6) ZPacks Challenger Rain Mitts $65 http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/mitts.shtml
7) ZPacks Fleece Liner Mittens $25 http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/mitts.shtml
8) ZPacks Cuben Poncho (I am not sure what this is as it is not listed on their site)
but I think it is this... http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/groundsheet_poncho.shtml at $175.00.
or Sea to Summit ponchos - range $55 - $100
ZPacks brand and website does have some of the items seen at Summit Hut but less expensive. http://www.zpacks.com/accessories.shtml
9) BecTech Gloves - a wholesale site - $78 a doz. http://www.grandsierragloves.com/shop/mens/bec-tech-accessories.html
10) a Spork or other eating utensils
11) a Bear Bag for food storage - there is a kit... http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/bear_bag.shtml - $50. I would probably just get a bag from Big 5 for less.
12) MSR Sweetwater water filter - $89.95 (Summit Hut), REI same price, Amazon also has them. Lots of different types.
13) Sawyer Mini Squeeze Water Filtration System - $25.00 Pretty much universally available from $17 on up.
---AquaMira Cl02 drops or bleach - $15.00
14) Tent repair kit, about $6. Almost anywhere. I may put my own together.
15) PTEC Byte Headlamp (repair mine, needs new head band) - But Montbell.us has them for $12.??
16) Extra Batteries, for Flashlights, SPOT, cameras, phone?
Also Smart cards ? what does new phone use???
17) Roll of Mole skin (ask Rhonda for type)
19) Virgin Rag Wool long socks (knee high), or REI Merino Light Hiker Crew socks
- Smart Wool Black socks - $25.00 pair... these are calf/knee high which are best for me. 2 pair needed at $25 x 2 = $50.
21) Montbell Ex Light down Jacket - $140.00 This might make sense. http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?p_id=2301344
NOTE: I am considering postponing the hike until Spring 2017. If I do, I will make my own ultra-light gear and a jacket, sleeping bag and tent may be items I make during the winter 2016-17 in Quartzsite. I think I can save a lot of money doing this myself.
22) Under Armor fleece tights - I don't even like the looks of this stuff.
23) Cold Weather Army waffle top shirt - Now this I do like the looks of, especially the sleeve and hand thingy... http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918173487/military-surplus-ecwcs-gen-iii-waffle-grid-base-layer-1-4-zip-shirt-tan-medium-regular
NOTE: In fact, I like the look of this site... and their merchandise and may do a lot of my shopping there.... http://www.midwayusa.com/
24) Gaitors - range from $22 to $87. I may make a pair.
25) Electronics and map software, GPS ?
- ATA databook and GPS software and printout - $0
-or DeLorme Earthmate PN-20 handheld receivers
26) Topo Maps (paper and digital)
27) Solar Charger - s Charher 5 Suntactics (NOTE: This is the next item I want.)
Summit Hut only carries GoZero Nomad 7 Plus - $100.00. They have other GoZeros larger.
Solar inflatable lights - $10-$26. neat little things
28) Trekking poles - WHAT? $125 each. This is probably not happening. Too many different kinds to list one. Maybe I will look or a pair of used ones. Or just use my hiking stick. It's been with me since I hit the road in 2009, in fact, I found it on my first hike.
Note: AZT hiking and trail crew folk feel it is important to have poles, not only for balance, but to keep both arms moving which prevents hands from swelling by hanging straight down and the weight of the pack cutting off circulation at the shoulders.)
29) Umbrella (for sun and rain) Collibar - $50 Note: bought an umbrella at thrift store for $5. May try to paint it silver and use it.
30) large bug net ranges $43 - $60
31) Soleil Balaclava (head and neck protection) - $20.00
This list is still being researched.
2) Wilson TV Antenna - like RV Sue's - it boasts WiFi Signal.
3) Wilson Electronics - Sleek - Cell Phone Signal Booster for Single User (http://astore.amazon.com/kayakin-20/detail/B003FGWGPS - 11/13 was $74.00)
3) LED lights to replace lights in the van
4) Stock up on some Tyco Adhesives Nashau Duct Tape (so strong it will pull the skin off your fingers)
8) Fox Hill Camp Oven - http://www.foxhill.net/single.php
9) Tint the front side door windows of van... for more privacy.
10) Omnia Oven (OM 4500) - buy one http://astore.amazon.com/kayakin-20/detail/B000YLJQ5U
11) Swarofski Optik Scope (abt $2,000) (http://www.amazon.com/Swarovski-Spotting-Scope-ATS-65-Definition/dp/B0019F5IPW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1384000389&sr=8-9&keywords=swarovski+optik+scope)