Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hypoallergenic Vandwellers–subgroup forming.

(my pets must be able to breath underwater)

2010_02_28_ 123

I’ve decided to post this to my blog… because it is very important to me.  After suffering for years and years with repeated bouts of bronchitis I have learned there are limits to what I can be exposed to if I wish to remain healthy.  Any airborne particles can cause me breathing issues.  I am under the care of a doctor and on meds that seem to keep things at a more even balance, finally, and since becoming a full-time Vandweller, I have avoided getting bronchitis again.  I have this fear/feeling that if I get it again, I will die.

2010_02_28_ 001  2010_02_28_ 019  2010_02_28_ 027

SO, to those of you NOT camping with animals, my thoughts originally were to find people I could enjoy camping near without troubling myself or others with my health/lung issues. I thought if I could find a few, and we decided to gather... we could do so some walking distance away from the "animal" camp... and therefore be able to walk there and visit outside for a short time, or others could leave their animals home and come join us for a quick campfire or a meal.

I realized after camping with a couple of people/pet pairs... last year... that that was a doable situation and for weeks at a time with them, I never got sick. The pets pretty much stayed in their camps and even when we were all together, there was plenty of fresh air and I had no breathing issue. And I might add they were both short haired dogs which could have made a difference. I love animals so much and I can't be around them with out interacting and petting them, but I am always careful to go wash my hands afterwards and I try to keep them off my clothing. They didn't seem to have any problem learning their boundaries... that they could play with me, be petted by me, but could not jump up on me on my clothing. It was a very comfortable camp situation and one I will cherish for a long time.

Q-Camp3 062   Q-Camp3 010Q-Camp3 021

My education continued with camping in other locations with larger groups of people and more pets. I did not faire as well in the more populous setting for a number of reasons and know I will avoid those situations in the future. When weather is bad and folks take to visiting inside... I shouldn't go in but have in the past. I won't in the future... and so found myself being/feeling left out, or at risk health wise. I took the risk last year due to my very strong desire to socialize and be with my "chosen" family. I really really HATE being left out of the fun. It's really unfair... but no one's fault and something I will have to learn to accept.

So, for me it will be easier to stay far away from large groups so I don't even know when people are gathering, laughing, having fun, etc. That way I won't know when I'm missing out on something. Last year when I tried that from a short distance, each time I heard laughter, I was drawn to it... only to realize awaiting me there would be furry critters... sometimes inside other's van homes. There really was never a happy solution to this dilemma.  Maybe I have to accept it as just something I cannot do in the future.

I know I am not the only vandweller out here with COPD/Asthma/allergy issues... so I'm still trying to identify you guys... so maybe we can gather in a satellite camp not far from the furry camp... and at least remain part of the tribe at arms length.

Again, this is no personal attack about anyone else... it's just explaining my history and planning for my future. I don't want to be totally alone all the time... that's not fair... but if I must, then I shall.

If any non-animal campers wish to write me, I welcome your email swankie.wheels@gmail.com.  Anyone in Florida this winter who might like to have a small gathering, let me know.   I will be meeting one Vandweller in January for kayaking.  Happy to also meet up with the “animal” folk as well as long as they understand, my health comes first with me.

unFurry Swankie

1 comment:

  1. Well, as it turns out, I may not be allergic at all. I might not even have COPD. In March 2017, I learned I had a lesion in my right lung, close to where the airway first enters the lung. It is called Carcinoid Syndrome. The thing was the size of a kidney bean and blocking air flow into my entire right lung. So anytime I was around any allergins that might give me an inflammatory response in my airways, suddenly, the swelling would make the airway so tight, no air at all could go through. It was removed, it was benign. No cancer showed up anywhere in my body. Since then... now two months, I have been breathing better than I have for years, I can walk farther with ease. How many doctors have looked at me and not found this thing. I had a broncoscopy in 2008, they didn't see it. Nine years later... they find it. I am a happy camper. Time spent in home of people with animals has not given me the symptoms I got in the past.

    ReplyDelete

Who is Swankie?

My photo
Anywhere, USA, Full-Time USA traveler, United States
In 2006, I was shopping for a wheelchair. By 2007, I had new knees, better health and by 2008 a kayak. In Aug 2013, I kayaked my 49th state, Alaska, at the Holgate Glacier and in May 2014, I kayaked Hawaii, my 50th state, to celebrate my 70th Birthday and the finale to the wonderful adventure of Kayaking America? Next up... Solo Hiking the Arizona Trail, 820 miles? Maybe. Still healing from shoulder and trying to decide.

Followers: